This week’s edition of WHTGW is dedicated the One Hit Wonders:
“A one-hit wonder is a person or act known mainly for only a single success. The term is most often used to describe music performers with only one hit single.”
There are actually so many! From Achy Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus to Lipgloss from Lil Mama – whatever their reason for creation – these songs have come with a pow and then left with a bang! Here are my Top10 One Hit Wonders – thanks for the memories!
1. “The Ketchup Song“ by the Andalusian-Spanish pop group Las Ketchup, which was an international hit in 2002. Those lyrics, THAT dance! wowwww, there wasn’t one person who did not know that silly dance! It was the song about an “afro-gipsy, rastafari” character named Diego – I loved it and even bought the single which featured the original Spanish version of the song.
2. “Who Let The Dogs Out” by Baha Men (2000)
3. Macarena - who even invited the macarena?? Apparently it’s some guy called Los Del Rio. Um, okay.
4. Wasn’t me – Shaggy. Actually what happened to Shaggy in general? I bought his first album (for my mom) which had some pretty good music on it, especially a track called Angel (my mom’s favourite).
5. Ice -Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice – it has been redone so many times, I actually cannot even believe it. The latest version of the song can be found in the new advert for Castle Light – why they decided to market the beer according to temperature beats me – isn’t all beer supposed to be drank cold anyway?
6. All The Things She Said by TaTu. What cute little lesbians these two were – I remember being around 10 years old and watching the MTV Music Awards and these two showed up and kissed on tv. I was very confused but remember liking their hair!!
7. Mumbo Number 5 – Lou Bega. he released a song sounding very similar to this (about girls too), but I think that was the end of him.
8. Barbie Girl – Aqua. Here’s another CD I bought. Wow, I was really into CDs. This was the song every tween had on their lips – and is sometimes heard in a high pitched voice today. I love Aqua those – especially the big bald guy who reminded me of a gladiator from the South African version of The Gladiators.
9. What is Love? By Haddaway.
10. Because I got High by Afroman.